Freedom of the press is facing unprecedented attacks, but journalists are standing up for the Right to Report.
Threats to the Right to Report abound:
- The White House won’t release visitors’ logs.
- News organizations are being excluded from press briefings and denied access to high-ranking government officials.
- Journalists have been arrested while covering protests in Ferguson and Standing Rock.
- Responses to Freedom of Information Act requests are delayed, often for years, at the local, state and federal levels.
- The president demonizes journalists, calling them “enemies of the people.”
- An army of operatives – foreign and domestic – spreads fake news.
But something else is happening as well.
Journalists are persevering. Asking questions. Telling the truth. Reporting the facts. Finding connections.
But the fight for truth and transparency must continue.
Right to Report, a project of the NewsGuild-CWA, was formed by journalists and others who work in media to stand together for our treasured right to a free press.
We condemn ongoing attempts to deny the public access to information, to intimidate and demonize journalists, and to undermine legitimate reporting by promoting fake news.
Right to Report is dedicated to monitoring threats to press freedom, exposing them, and building coalitions of individuals and organizations working to protect our cherished right. We are also working to secure shield laws for journalists; protect whistleblowers; affirm the right to film and photograph in public; end surveillance of journalists’ email and phones, and uphold the rights of students, freelancers, bloggers and others involved in covering news.
Stand with us. Sign the petition. Let us know if your Right to Report is challenged. Guild members are ready and eager to help. Email us at .